If you’re in the mood for coleslaw without mayonnaise and enjoy a spicy edge, then consider this vegan alternative featuring Sriracha sauce and grated ginger. I uses the term “vinaigrette” loosely because lemon juice is the acidic stand-in for vinegar this coleslaw recipe, and like most vegetable marinades this side dish gets better as it sits overnight and starts to take on a kimchee kind of flavor and texture.
This side dish provides opportunity for countless variations. If you really miss the mayo, I’m sure you could add it as much as you want quite successfully. If you’re new to Sriracha or prefer less spicy spicy food, eat it over some plain white rice. Also try incorporating this skinny coleslaw into a rather mundane sandwich or wrap to give it a little life.
Ingredients for sriracha ginger coleslaw
• 1 juice of 1 large lemon
• 1 tablespoon grated ginger
• ½ cup olive oil
• ¼ cup Sriracha sauce
• ½ tsp salt
• half of a medium cabbage, shredded
• half of a medium red cabbage, shredded
• 1 large carrot, shredded or matchsticks
1. Combine lemon juice, ginger, olive oil, Sriracha and kosher salt in a small bowl and whisk until thoroughly incorprated.
2. In a large bowl, stir in the Sriracha mixture into the cabbage, red cabbage and carrots.
3. Let slaw sit for at least 3 hours, or overnight then serve.