Sweet potato recipes have historically been very time-intensive procedures. However, all it takes is a mandolin slicer to turn this classic American-Southern Soul Food ingredient into a fixing for a sandwich or wrap. Even better … it only requires 20 to 30 minutes of cooking. It’s as easy as cooking bacon but not as messy and so much healthier.
Many mandolin slicers exist, so once you find the one you like you can try this easy idea. Do not try cutting these thin slices with a knife, as it can be a super dangerous. Once you have evenly thin slices, simply brush both sides with a little olive oil, sprinkle each side with kosher salt, and grill away! Over medium heat grill each side for 15 minutes and you’re done. Each side will caramelize and the interior will be moist and sweet.
If you have a large griddle, you can make these in huge batches on a Sunday and store them in the refrigerator for a few days. Definitely consider adding this vegan-friendly, meat-like sandwich fixing to your diet if you’re trying to cut down on your meat intake.
Be careful, PLEASE!!!
Critics of this sweet potato concept say that it’s too dangerous. and I do understand the concern whole heartedly. I tend to do dangerous things all the time, so my tolerance for this type of activity is quite high. Someone I know said she would be too afraid of “slicing off her hand”. My response was, “But we grew up playing with lawn darts in the 80s and nobody got punctured”. There are three ways around this problem:
- Use a blade guard that comes with mandolin slicers, so make sure you use it. I happen to have lost mine.
- You can also buy a cut glove
- Stop slicing once your sweet potato is too tiny to deal with safely. Yes, the best pato to safety can be complete avoidance. Use the unsliced sweet potato pieces to make my Jamaican Curry Sweet Potato Dip wit Candied Ginger
ingredientsfor sweet potato coldcuts
• sweet potatoes, peeled
• olive oil
• kosher salt
- With a mandolin slicer, slice your sweet potatoes. I use the second-thickest setting. This can be dangerous, so sure to use the blade guard that comes with your slicer. Sweet potatoes may not slice in one swift stroke. Instead, you may have to gently wiggle it through the blade in side-by-side motions. You can also flip it around to start from the other side and the cuts will meet in the middle.
- Brush each side of your sweet potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle each side with kosher salt.
- Over medium high heat, cook your slices for about 15 minutes on the first side, then about 10 minutes on the second. Be sure to watch them.