This chicken burger is stiff competition for any red meat and a key reason to invite some friends over who are not into eating beef. Because chicken burgers (and turkey burgers) constantly face lack-of-moisture problems, you need to add moisture back into this white meat in creative ways. By incorporating diced onions, olive oil and some chicken thighs dark meat chicken thighs pulsed in a food processor. If the onions are diced too large they will cause the chicken burgers to fall apart, so really take the time to dice them quite fine – to about the size of peas. Honey mustard is highly recommended as a condiment to add a sweet-but-savory twist to this smoky, spicy recipe.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons Chipotle Spice Rub
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Wash and cut chicken thighs into 1-inch cubes. Pulse in food processor until finely ground.
- Combine ground chicken thighs with all other ingredients and mix thoroughly by hand and refrigerate for at least one hour..
- Remove chicken from refrigeration one hour before cooking. Form burgers using 1/2 cup of mixture and cook thoroughly to 165 degrees. Even though we added moisturizing ingredients, not overcooking chicken breast is the best way to preserve its moisture.
Yield: 5 burgers