This chicken burger is stiff competition for any red meat and a key reason to invite some friends over and fire up the grill a few more times. Chicken burgers (and turkey burgers) constantly face problems of moisture which I compensate by incorporating diced onions, olive oil and some chicken thighs to the standard store-bought, lean ground breast. Honey mustard is highly recommended as a condiment to add a sweet-but-savory twist to this smoky, spicy recipe.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons Chipotle Spice Rub
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Wash and cut chicken thighs into 1-inch cubes. Pulse in food processor until finely ground.
- Combine ground chicken thighs with all other ingredients and mix thoroughly by hand and refrigerate for at least one hour..
- Remove chicken from refrigeration one hour before cooking. Form burgers using 1/2 cup of mixture and cook thoroughly to 165 degrees. Even though we added moisturizing ingredients, not overcooking chicken breast is the best way to preserve its moisture.
Yield: 5 burgers