By introducing lemon juice and olive oil to my existing Chipotle Pepper Spice Rub, you can apply this full-bodied, smoky marinade to your chicken breasts and you are on your way to chicken breast euphoria. The rest of the way is paved with paying close attention to the cooking time because once it is over-cooked, it dries out and there is no going back.
This is a recipe where a toaster oven comes in handy for two reasons. Having a wire rack so close to heat sources from the top and bottom allows both sides to be cooked evenly without having to flip the meat and damage the spicy coating. Also, if you are cooking for only one or 2 people the oven temperature can be most efficiently controlled without heating up your entire room, house or apartment.
- 1/2 cup of Homemade in Astoria Chipotle Pepper Spice Rub
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts
- Combine spice rub, lemon juice and olive oil and mix thoroughly to produce a coarse, paste-like marinate.
- Coat chicken breasts with marinade and store in refrigerator at least 3 hours, or overnight for best results.
- An hour before cooking, remove chicken from refrigerator so they can warm up to room temperature.
- Preheat toaster oven to 400 degrees.
- Place chicken on wire rack and bake for 20 minutes. Resist the urge to overcook. Times may vary according to chicken sizes, but don’t hesitate to check for doneness. At its thickest area, chicken should be a succulent milky white in color with no trace of pink.
Yield: 3 chicken breasts