Outdoor activities in the brisk October air definitely require a good, alcoholic cider to help take the edge off as you might be grilling, raking leaves or enjoying Halloween festivities. Cider recipes can easily become complex and overdone, so and after much speculation I have arrived at 4 simple ingredients. This spicy, rustic cider does require some attention and patience to allow for the ginger flavor to be extracted without the cider being broken down from creating an actual boil. The key is to keep the temperature extremely low and stir frequently. You must fight the urge to crank up the temperature, even a little. Bourbon is added at the end to each glass upon serving.
- 6 slices fresh ginger root
- 1 stick ceylon cinnamon bark
- 2 quarts (64 fl oz) pure apple cider
- 1 liter bourbon
- Slice ginger crosswise about 1/8 inch thick.
- Combine ginger and cinnamon with apple cider and simmer on low heat for at least one hour, stirring frequently. Be sure no to bring to a boil.
- Prepare mugs with 1/3 cup of Bourbon and fill mugs with prepared spiced cider.
Yield: 6-8 servings